US President Bush in 2002 used axle of evil, to describe any government that his administration accused of sponsoring terrorism and seeking weapons of mass destruction - namely Iran, Iraq, and North Korea.
Why was Iran accused as one?
Following a coup d'état instigated by the U.K. and the U.S. in 1953, Persia gradually became closely aligned with the West but grew increasingly autocratic. Growing dissent against foreign influence and political repression led to the 1979 Revolution and the establishment of an Islamic republic of Iran, which has a Shia theocratic government with its anti West and extreme Islamic practices.
Since its founding in 1979, the Iranian regime has employed terrorism as a key instrument to advance its interests and strike at its domestic and foreign enemies. As a result, the U.S. government labels the Islamic Republic of Iran the “most active state sponsor of terrorism.” The U.S. has designated Iran as a state sponsor of terrorism since 1984.
Some of the Acts of Terrorism
- 1979 Nov 4th - Only months after the Islamic Revolution, a radical group of Iranian students stormed the American Embassy in Tehran, taking 66 Americans hostage.
- 1983 63 people, including 17 Americans, were killed and more than 100 injured when a suicide bomber rammed a truck carrying 2,000 pounds of explosives into the U.S. Embassy in Beirut.
- 1983 241 U.S. marines were killed and over 100 wounded when an Iranian suicide bomber drove a truck carrying the equivalent of 15,000-21,000 pounds of TNT into the U.S. Marine Barracks at Beirut International Airport. Causing the "largest non-nuclear explosion that had ever been detonated on the face of the Earth,"
- 1994 Iran was directly responsible for the 1994 AMIA Jewish community center bombing in Buenos Aires, which killed 85 and injured 300. The AMIA attack remains the deadliest terrorist attack in Argentina’s history.
- 1996 The bombing of Khobar Towers, a U.S. military housing complex in Saudi Arabia, left nineteen Americans dead and 372 injured.
- 2003-11 Following the 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq, Iran undermined U.S. operations by "consistently [supplying] weapons, its own advisors, and Lebanese Hezbollah advisors to multiple residence groups in Iraq, both Sunni and Shia,” which targeted Coalition Forces.
- Since 2006 Iranian has been supporting the Taliban against U.S. troops in Afghanistan.
Iran Nuclear Capacity
Before the IAEA's report to UN on 8th Nov 2011 of Iran's non compliance with its Agreement in 2005, rumours were rife that Israel with support from the West and Saudi Arabia would destroy all nuclear sites in Iran. Iran is suspected of having many secret underground nuclear research sites. Iran has constantly reminded Israel (also Saudi Arabia) that its first nuclear bomb would be for the complete annihilation of Israel and the next for Saudi Arabia. Any further revelation of Iran developing the nuclear bomb will set Israel and the Sunni Arabs to attack Iran for a nuclear bomb in Iran's possession is just madness.
Iran with its leader's constant war cry of annihilating Israel, US and the West and the many provocations of its Navy and air forces against US and Western boats and planes can start the war. The recent test of its ICBM has put Israel and the Arab world to great discomfort and fear.